There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Switchback Books' 2014 Gatewood Prize is now open! The contest runs from March 15 to May 15, 2014. This year's judge is Dorthea Lasky.
The Gatewood Prize is Switchback Books' annual competition for a first or second full-length (48-80 pp.) collection of poems by a woman writing in the English language. It is named after Emma Gatewood, the first woman to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.
General Contest Eligibility:
* Poet must be a woman; our definition of "woman" is broad and includes transsexual, transgender, genderqueer, and female-identified individuals.
* Multiple submissions are acceptable, but each manuscript must be entered under separate cover and fee.
* You must let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted by another publisher while under our consideration.
* No revisions to submitted manuscripts will be considered; the winning manuscript may be revised before publication.
* Translations ineligible.
* Manuscripts by close friends and former students of the judge are ineligible. If the judge would recognize your manuscript for any reason, please wait until next year to enter the contest.
* Co-written collections are eligible provided both poets meet all eligibility requirements.
* Manuscripts remain anonymous until a winner is selected. Please remove any identifying references from your manuscript (including those in the body of the manuscript).
* Only include cover letters in the appropriate box in the online form; do not upload a cover letter as the first page of your manuscript.
*Entries that do not meet these terms may be disqualified.
* Manuscripts should be between 48 and 80 pages, paginated.
* Please include a cover page with ONLY the title of the manuscript.
* Please include a list of acknowledgements.